GiellaLT Documentation

GiellaLT provides rule-based language technology aimed at minority and indigenous languages

View GiellaLT on GitHub giellalt/site-giellalt.uit.no

Page Content

Meeting setup

Agenda

Cf. one of the following, depending on context:

Opening, agenda review, participants

Updated task status since last meeting

Børre

Ciprian

Maja

Sjur

Thomas

Tomi

Trond

Oahpa!

Released a small Skolt Sámi Oahpa. Debugged the official Oahpa, there is still a bug there in proper noun Leksa. Also found a number fst for Skolt, it should be included also in Sme-Oahpa. Trond will check it and update it.

TODO

Corpus gathering

Trond is on his way to a meeting in Norsk språkbank today, and wants some feedback on the OCR quality for Sámi.

TODO:

Promoting Divvun

TODO:

Future plans, directions and ideas

See a separate document in plan/strat/5year.jspwiki.

Northern areas project

Meeting with the Hungarians in Malta.

Trip to Syktyvkar done. Executive summary:

Trond had a summary meeting with Sjur, Paula Kokkonen and Jack Rueter on Friday.

Step forward:

TODO:

Infrastructure

Out of the box experiences:

Updated corpus online

See Ciprian´s document about the corpus content in $GTPRIV/plan/corpus/oslo_corpus_update_todo.txt.

Issues:

facta$convert2xml.pl --nolog --corpdir=/usr/local/share/corp L1allOrt.correct.txt

Error message:

sh: /home/sjur/gtmain/gt/script/text_cat: No such file or directory
L1allOrt.correct.txt: ERROR errors in /home/sjur/gtmain/gt/script/text_cat -q -x -d /home/sjur/gtmain/gt/script/LM "/usr/local/share/corp/tmp/L1allOrt.correct.txt.tmp0":

text_cat isn’t part of our repository, we need to add it - we are using a modified version of the original file. It should be added with a short README and some license info, pointing to the original.

TODO:

Corpus infra remake

TODO:

License

TODO:

Corpus interface

This depends on the infrastructure cleanup.

TODO:

Makefile + tag simplification

Problems with the proofing tools compilation, now solved.

TODO:

  1. test latest proofing tools, compare results with previous version (Tomi)
  2. write new build commands (Sjur, Tomi)
    1. make new targets in parallell to the old ones, not by remaking them
    2. use a prefix or suffix to make the new targets easily identifyable during the rewrite phase. We’ll remove the prefix/suffix as soon as everything is working fine.
      1. a first version commited, prefix is NEW-*
  3. test the new build commands (Sjur)
  4. when the new build infrastructure works as it should, delete the old ones (Sjur, Tomi)

General list

Meänkieli adaptions in our infrastructure.

Requirements:

Tentative task list

To accommodate future enhancements in different directions (in rough order of importance):

  1. test bench for all parts of our language technology efforts
    1. test bench enhanced, but not yet complete
  2. improve Forrest i18n support with static sites
  3. reorganise the documentation:
    1. differ between target groups
    2. get better grouping
    3. decide what to write in Forrest and what in wiki (cf. Apertium and [http://xixona.dlsi.ua.es/apertium/]) for a similar split)
    4. update/add missing parts
  4. migrate lexc lexicons to XML, splitting the task
    1. Name lexica (the Name project)
    2. Dictionaries (already in XML, task is to integrate them)
    3. At least migrate the lexc open POSes (Komi as a pilot case)
  5. change the look of the documentation web
  6. corpus content moved to Max Planck repositories? Norsk språkbank?
  7. update infrastructure to allow content-restricted spellers for special target groups

TODO:

Linguistics

North Sámi

(nothing new, see proofing bugs below)

Lule Sámi

(nothing new, see proofing bugs below)

South Sámi

Nothing new this week.

TODO:

Name lexicon/risten.no infrastructure

TODO:

Dictionaries

StarDict is useless for Cyrillic languages, mainly because of the scanning function (ie point and look-up). We need to find an alternative to StarDict. Also, the Kildin Sámi users have different needs than we have had in mind. And they don’t have access to a Kildin Sámi keyboard in Windows.

Released:

Other things dictionary-related:

TODO:

Proofing tools

Spelling feedback from Malta:

South Sámi

Beta release: June 15. We should be getting the Polderland (now Knowledge Concepts - hereafter KC) binaries in the second half of May.

TODO:

HFST- and Voikko-based proofing tools

Sjur met with the HFST people yesterday. Two things happening in parallell:

  1. hfst3 - being made ready for public release, with proper inclusion of autotools, and updated documentation
  2. speller/lookup library:
    1. speller/lookup library
    2. voikko integration of this library

TODO:

Testing

Testing open-source Norwegian spellers

Sjur has invited the open-source group to test their spell-checker using our test bench. The response has been positive, we’ll see what happens.

Speller bugs

List of bugs returned from Polderland:

Tag reordering for abbreviations have caused a lot of problems:

smj:
hr.
hr.	hr+ABBR+Acc
cand.philol.
cand.philol.	cand.philol+ABBR+N+Acc
Per
Per	Per+N+Prop+Mal+Sg+Attr

sme:
hr.
hr.	hr+N+ABBR+Acc
Per
Per	Per+N+Prop+Mal+Sg+Attr

Open issues based on test results:

sme

Version: Davvisámi, version 1.2, 2009-09-18

smj

Version: Julevsáme, version 1.2, 2009-09-20

TODO:

Hyphenator bugs

Open issues based on test results :

sme

Lexicon version: Davvisámi, version 1.2, 2009-09-18

No known issues!

smj

Lexicon version: Julevsáme, version 1.2, 2009-09-20

sma

Command to test the hyphenator:

preprocess dev/corp/pressemelding.txt | lookup bin/hyph-sma.fst | cut -f2 | \
lookup bin/hyphrules-sma.fst | grep -v '^$' | cut -f2 | uniq | see

TODO:

Installer changes

TODO:

User documentation

TODO:

1.2 release

Content:

Other

Thursday inhouse seminar

Next time suggestion list:

  1. introduction to xslt - Ciprian to start out
    1. relevant xslt issues:
    2. basic principles of xslt …
    3. sorting in xslt … (have a look at the dictionary sort xslt script)
    4. converting from one xml format to another wilt xslt (sugg: convert from DivvunGT dictionary dtd to MacDict xml)

Future seminars:

  1. XQuery
  2. More XML (needs concretisation)
  3. UML
  4. other suggestions?

Summer planning

Topics:

Dates:

Text to speech

There will be regular meetings in this project from now on, every second week.

TODO:

CAT

TODO:

Norsk språkbank

Sámi will form a part of Norsk språkbank. We should consider candidates for pilot content (preferably terminology or bilingual text) for a first presentation of Språkbanken.

Summer vacations

Name Dates
Børre 28/6-11/7, 2/8-15/8
Ciprian Dates
Maja Dates
Sjur Dates
Thom 5 weeks between 21/6-13/8
Tomi 5 weeks between 21/6-13/8
Trond Dates

Next meeting, closing

The next meeting is 7.6.2010, 09:30 Norwegian time.

The meeting was closed at 10:54.

Appendix - task lists for the next week

Boerre

Ciprian

Maja

Sjur

Thomas

Tomi

Trond