GiellaLT Documentation

GiellaLT provides rule-based language technology aimed at minority and indigenous languages

View GiellaLT on GitHub giellalt/site-giellalt.uit.no

Page Content

Meeting setup

Agenda

Cf. one of the following, depending on context:

Opening, agenda review, participants

Opened at 10:00.

Present: Børre, Ciprian, Sjur, Thomas, Tomi, Trond

Absent: Maja (on study leave)

Agenda accepted as is.

Updated task status since last meeting

Børre

Ciprian

Maja

Sjur

Thomas

Tomi

Trond

Oahpa!

Nothing new.

TODO

Corpus gathering

Thomas still continuously scanning more texts. Børrehas added Skuvlahistorija to our (free) corpus repo. Also Riddu Riđđu newspapers have been added. We still would like to have all recent SD protocolls (multilingual).

TODO:

Promoting Divvun

TODO:

Future plans, directions and ideas

See a separate document in plan/strat/5year.jspwiki.

Northern areas project

Trip to Syktyvkar forthcoming.

TODO:

Infrastructure

Updated corpus online

See Ciprian´s document about the corpus content in $GTPRIV/plan/corpus/oslo_corpus_update_todo.txt.

TODO:

  1. convert to xml, should be done already (Ciprian)
    1. Only working with already converted texts because of the need to update the analyser with new names. That is, we need a better, more robust handling of unknown entities.
  2. identify parallel nob files - should be automatic, but needs to be checked (Ciprian)
  3. sentence-align sme with nob (Ciprian)
  4. analyse/disambiguate (Ciprian)
  5. preferably also dep -> check with Oslo if it can be used (Ciprian)
  6. install in Oslo (Ciprian, Trond)
  7. add better handling of unknown strings in our analysers (???)

Corpus infra remake

TODO:

License

We agree that at least the GNU GPL license should be one of the licenses for our source code. We will add that license now as a header to all files, with a provision that one or more other licenses will be added in the future.

TODO:

Corpus interface

TODO:

Makefile + tag simplification

Problems with the proofing tools compilation, now solved.

TODO:

  1. test latest proofing tools, compare results with previous version (Tomi)
  2. write new build commands (Sjur, Tomi)
  3. when the new build infrastructure works as it should, delete the old ones (Sjur, Tomi)

General list

Meänkieli adaptions in our infrastructure.

Requirements:

Tentative task list

To accommodate future enhancements in different directions (in rough order of importance):

  1. test bench for all parts of our language technology efforts
    1. test bench enhanced, but not yet complete
  2. improve Forrest i18n support with static sites
  3. reorganise the documentation:
    1. differ between target groups
    2. get better grouping
    3. decide what to write in Forrest and what in wiki (cf. Apertium and [http://xixona.dlsi.ua.es/apertium/]) for a similar split)
    4. update/add missing parts
  4. migrate lexc lexicons to XML, splitting the task
    1. Name lexica (the Name project)
    2. Dictionaries (already in XML, task is to integrate them)
    3. At least migrate the lexc open POSes (Komi as a pilot case)
  5. change the look of the documentation web
  6. corpus content moved to Max Planck repositories? Norsk språkbank?
  7. update infrastructure to allow content-restricted spellers for special target groups

TODO:

Linguistics

North Sámi

(nothing new, see proofing bugs below)

Lule Sámi

(nothing new, see proofing bugs below)

South Sámi

TODO:

Name lexicon/risten.no infrastructure

TODO:

Dictionaries

Comming releases:

Other things dictionary-related:

TODO:

Proofing tools

South Sámi

Beta release: June 1. We should be getting the Polderland (now Knowledge Concepts - hereafter KC) binaries in the second half of May.

Update: We have a contract proposal from KC, Sjur will have a look.

Sjur has been in talks with Krister Lindén about whether the HFST team can speed up the development of the HFST code, and the speller and hyphenator parts of it. Suggestion: Sjur will meet with two of the HFST team members every second week to discuss progress and tasks.

Sjur has been able to compile Voikko, with both the malaga and the HFST backends.

TODO:

HFST- and Voikko-based proofing tools

We need to test the Sámi analysers with the latest LibVoikko, and give feedback to Harry Pitkänen (the lead Voikko developer) within last week. He has posted a summary to the libvoikko mailing list. The showstopper on our side is the missing GPL tag on the top of each file. We will go for dual licensing, one being GPL.

TODO:

Testing

Spelling Error Markup

The extended spelling error markup needs ccat to be updated, to add support for new tags and attribute printout.

TODO:

Speller testing

TODO:

Testing open-source Norwegian spellers

Sjur has invited the open-source group to test their spell-checker using our test bench. The response has been positive, we’ll see what happens.

We should go to their developer meetings, and present our work and how to work with language technology.

Speller bugs

List of bugs returned from Polderland:

Tag reordering for abbreviations have caused a lot of problems:

smj:
hr.
hr.	hr+ABBR+Acc
cand.philol.
cand.philol.	cand.philol+ABBR+N+Acc
Per
Per	Per+N+Prop+Mal+Sg+Attr

sme:
hr.
hr.	hr+N+ABBR+Acc
Per
Per	Per+N+Prop+Mal+Sg+Attr

Open issues based on test results:

sme

Version: Davvisámi, version 1.2, 2009-09-18

smj

Version: Julevsáme, version 1.2, 2009-09-20

TODO:

Hyphenator bugs

Open issues based on test results :

sme

Lexicon version: Davvisámi, version 1.2, 2009-09-18

No known issues!

smj

Lexicon version: Julevsáme, version 1.2, 2009-09-20

sma

Command to test the hyphenator:

preprocess dev/corp/pressemelding.txt | lookup bin/hyph-sma.fst | cut -f2 | \
lookup bin/hyphrules-sma.fst | grep -v '^$' | cut -f2 | uniq | see

TODO:

Installer changes

TODO:

User documentation

TODO:

1.2 release

Content:

Other

Thursday inhouse seminar

Next time suggestion list:

  1. introduction to xslt - Ciprian to start out
    1. relevant xslt issues:
    2. basic principles of xslt …
    3. sorting in xslt … (have a look at the dictionary sort xslt script)
    4. converting from one xml format to another wilt xslt (sugg: convert from DivvunGT dictionary dtd to MacDict xml)

Future seminars:

  1. XQuery
  2. More XML (needs concretisation)
  3. UML
  4. other suggestions?

Spring planning

Topics:

Dates:

Text to speech

TODO:

CAT

Sjur will meet with Francis on Wednesday, to try to make the Apertium services available to Autshumato-ITE from victorio.

TODO:

Norsk språkbank

Sámi will form a part of Norsk språkbank. We should consider candidates for pilot content (preferably terminology or bilingual text) for a first presentation of Språkbanken.

Next meeting, closing

The next meeting is 10.5.2010, 09:30 Norwegian time.

The meeting was closed at 11:33.

Appendix - task lists for the next week

Boerre

Ciprian

Maja

Sjur

Thomas

Tomi

Trond