GiellaLT Documentation

GiellaLT provides rule-based language technology aimed at minority and indigenous languages

View GiellaLT on GitHub giellalt/site-giellalt.uit.no

Page Content

Meeting setup

Agenda

Cf. one of the following, depending on context:

Opening, agenda review, participants

Opened at 10:03.

Present: Børre, Ciprian, Sjur, Thomas, Tomi, Trond

Absent: Maja (on study leave)

Agenda accepted as is.

Updated task status since last meeting

Børre

Ciprian

Maja

Sjur

Thomas

Tomi

Trond

Oahpa!

Michael Rießler wants to have a Lovosero student making a sjd lexicon for Oahpa!. Requires more work on the Oahpa! infra.

Lexicon translation sme-fin is working - should we market this in any way in Finland?

TODO

Corpus gathering

Thomas continuously scanning more texts.

TODO:

Promoting Divvun

TODO:

Future plans, directions and ideas

See a separate document in plan/strat/5year.jspwiki.

Northern areas project

TODO:

Infrastructure

Corpus infra remake

Børre has sent out an update e-mail about the status of the new corpus repository. Scripts are still do be done.

Sjur worked on extending the error markup conversion - most cases work, but complicated nesting fails.

TODO:

License

TODO:

Corpus interface

TODO:

Makefile + tag simplification

According to the tests done by Tomi, the new transducer build routines give the same output as the old one.

TODO:

  1. test that the output from the new transducers is identical to the old one (Tomi)
    1. done
  2. convert lexc files - all in gt/ dir tree && update existing make targets to work with the converted lexc files:
    1. convert lexc files for testing old make targets (Tomi)
    2. update makefile (old targets) (Tomi)
    3. announce imminent converstion - Tuesday afternoon (Tomi)
    4. everybody check in all local lexc changes in the gt/ tree - Wednesday (all)
    5. actual lexc conversion - Thursday (Tomi)
    6. announce conversion done (and new conventions) (Tomi)
    7. svn up, and continue lexc work using new lexc tags (all)
  3. write new build commands (Sjur, Tomi)
  4. when the new build infrastructure works as it should, delete the old ones (Sjur, Tomi)

General list

Now that we have the FIN-CG from Fred Karlsson, we also need a way of integrating Omorfi in a proper way with our svn repository. External references could be one alternative. We have to find a way of doing this consistently, there might be other code repositories we want to integrate with as well (e.g. Apertium).

Meänkieli adaptions in our infrastructure.

Requirements:

Tentative task list

To accommodate future enhancements in different directions (in rough order of importance):

  1. test bench for all parts of our language technology efforts
    1. test bench enhanced, but not yet complete
  2. improve Forrest i18n support with static sites
  3. reorganise the documentation:
    1. differ between target groups
    2. get better grouping
    3. decide what to write in Forrest and what in wiki (cf. Apertium and [http://xixona.dlsi.ua.es/apertium/]) for a similar split)
    4. update/add missing parts
  4. migrate lexc lexicons to XML, splitting the task
    1. Name lexica (the Name project)
    2. Dictionaries (already in XML, task is to integrate them)
    3. At least migrate the lexc open POSes (Komi as a pilot case)
  5. change the look of the documentation web
  6. corpus content moved to Max Planck repositories? Norsk språkbank?
  7. update infrastructure to allow content-restricted spellers for special target groups

TODO:

Linguistics

North Sámi

(nothing new, see proofing bugs below)

Lule Sámi

(nothing new, see proofing bugs below)

South Sámi

TODO:

Name lexicon/risten.no infrastructure

TODO:

Dictionaries

Comming releases:

Other things dictionary-related:

TODO:

Proofing tools

South Sámi

Beta release: June 1. We should be getting the Polderland (now Knowledge Concepts) binaries in the second half of May.

TODO:

HFST-based proofing tools

The work with Voikko+HFST is moving forward.

Testing

Spelling Error Markup

TODO:

Speller testing

TODO:

Testing open-source Norwegian spellers

Sjur has invited the open-source group to test their spell-checker using our test bench. The response has been positive, we’ll see what happens.

We should go to their developer meetings, and present our work and how to work with language technology.

Speller bugs

List of bugs returned from Polderland:

Tag reordering for abbreviations have caused a lot of problems:

smj:
hr.
hr.	hr+ABBR+Acc
cand.philol.
cand.philol.	cand.philol+ABBR+N+Acc
Per
Per	Per+N+Prop+Mal+Sg+Attr

sme:
hr.
hr.	hr+N+ABBR+Acc
Per
Per	Per+N+Prop+Mal+Sg+Attr

Open issues based on test results:

sme

Version: Davvisámi, version 1.2, 2009-09-18

smj

Version: Julevsáme, version 1.2, 2009-09-20

TODO:

Hyphenator bugs

Open issues based on test results :

sme

Lexicon version: Davvisámi, version 1.2, 2009-09-18

No known issues!

smj

Lexicon version: Julevsáme, version 1.2, 2009-09-20

sma

Command to test the hyphenator:

preprocess dev/corp/pressemelding.txt | lookup bin/hyph-sma.fst | cut -f2 | \
lookup bin/hyphrules-sma.fst | grep -v '^$' | cut -f2 | uniq | see

TODO:

Installer changes

TODO:

User documentation

TODO:

1.2 release

Content:

Other

Thursday inhouse seminar

Next time suggestion list:

  1. introduction to xslt - Ciprian to start out
    1. relevant xslt issues:
    2. basic principles of xslt …
    3. sorting in xslt … (have a look at the dictionary sort xslt script)
    4. converting from one xml format to another wilt xslt (sugg: convert from DivvunGT dictionary dtd to MacDict xml)

Future seminars:

  1. XQuery
  2. More XML (needs concretisation)
  3. UML
  4. other suggestions?

Spring planning

Topics:

Dates:

Text to speech

TODO:

CAT

Autshuhamo-ITE is now available, and we want to set up a proof-of-concept server to demonstrate how we (soon) can provide a translator’s workbench with integrated machine translation (and also dictionary and terminology content).

Apertium installed at:

/opt/MT/
/opt/MT/apertium3.0.4

Apertium is working in victorio, with one dirty fix: I had to make the following link:

apertium-nn-nb$echo ikke |apertium -d . nb-nn
ikkje

TODO:

Norsk språkbank

Sámi will form a part of Norsk språkbank. We should consider candidates for pilot content (preferably terminology or bilingual text) for a first presentation of Språkbanken.

Next meeting, closing

The next meeting is 26.04.2010, 13:00 Norwegian time.

The meeting was closed at 12:54.

Appendix - task lists for the next week

Boerre

Ciprian

Maja

Sjur

Thomas

Tomi

Trond